[NSRCA-discussion] FAT Rudder

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Aug 23 10:16:19 AKDT 2009

Arch,

That makes perfect sense. Both vehicle types travel fast enough,
meaning they displace a great deal of air mass. Air is surprisingly
"heavy" at these speeds and small corrective surfaces will assist some
design imperfections. The problem with corrective surfaces is that they
are speed dependent and relationships (speed and force) are not linear.

Thrust vectoring is fine but that also is a correction for the
spiraling air stream, the necessary evil of patterndom and all things with a single propeller providing the thrust. I am looking
forward to someone (maybe myself) creating an egg-crate of sorts just
behind the prop to straighten the flow. Downline brakes would be
tremendous and need for thrust off sets nil.

Canard surfaces in my new design are set-up to do precisely that...straighten a % of air flow from the prop. Now IF I EVER GET TO FINISH the crate.

A really good compromise is the set-up that Silvestri has used before,
that of the coaxial contra-rotating props up front. Probably a little heavier
and considerably more complex than a single, movable power plant tho. Another very good approach
(also more complex) is a counter-rotating twin. Electric power is ideal for such a set-up. This idea is being
pursued in control line stunt circles BTW.

MattK

PS. Hey Arch...how does an 80 gram 20 X 10 sound ? Considerably stiffer than the plastic stuff.