[NSRCA-discussion] New Vehicle

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 13:14:21 AKDT 2009

You miss my point. I'm just saying It's a long chain of money from the customer to the automaker to the supply base. When GM and Ford sell a car, the majority of the money goes to  their suppliers. These suppliers  make a profit also, and a lot of those parts are coming from overseas.  Just because it says TRW and it's an american company, doesn't mean it's made in the states or the taxes are paid in the states . Nothing is as straight forward as it seems.  I dont' like it either. I have never bought a "foreign" car. (Though I think my chrysler minivan was made in Canada) . I do feel that a car is the most expensive consumer item you buy and you ought to try to keep as much of the money here as you can. We've already lost our television manufacturing, and home appliances are almost gone (whirlpool is still headquarted in Michigan, but they don't mfg there). Steel, foundries, almost gone. I don't think our country can survive without a strong manufacturing base and from a pinnacle just after WW2,  it's been down hill ever since.