[NSRCA-discussion] Advice on battery checkers

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Fri Sep 5 11:05:37 AKDT 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:56:49 -0500
Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

> Since it appears my new plane crash was due to a "new" battery failure
> or  some kind of high drain, it is time to get back into the habit of
> checking  the stinkin' batteries before every flight. This is a habit
> I had early  on, but 8 years in pattern and no battery problems made
> me lazy. I used to  have that cheapo $19.95 hobbico Expanded Volatge
> reader or some such, but  what is out there that I really should be
> using for my new $2000+  airplane?   Please let me know what you guys
> think!

There was some discussion on this last month under this thread:

http://lists.nsrca.org/pipermail/nsrca-discussion/2008-August/062423.html

My contribution was:

I've had a Radio South digital ESV for years and I really like it.  It's
small, zero maintenance (no batteries) and dead simple to operate.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/closeup.asp?cid=17&pid=458&offset=0

or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKLF5&P=0

I'll add that it does no load, .5A, 1.0A and 1.5A load testing depending
on the button combination pressed.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com