[NSRCA-discussion] CF gear needs and something to talk about

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Fri Oct 24 05:38:06 AKDT 2008

I am combining all the responses about CF landing gear. Getting into
designing and fabricating something as simple as landing gear will require
several thousand dollars, and a lot of time to refine the design. Several
people mentioned a gera of lighter weight. The weight of the ES gear is
just about the lower limit if not the limit. I have not examined some of
the other gear that are reported to be 4 oz heavier, so I do not know why
they are heavier. Some of the real light weight gear I saw (very good
weight) were always broken ...people asked me to help repair.

It appears a $100 gear would be a hit with the pattern crowd. As Earl
stated there already is a $150 gear so that bounds the cost. I will
investigate to see if this is possible and worth the time, money.

Thanks for the input.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radomes and Specialty Apertures