[NSRCA-discussion] YS Questions+more

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Mar 5 16:51:25 AKST 2008

YS QuestionsSound on the 18.1's is very rpm dependant.  I have reduced the diameter a little and it helps on the noise meter. Yet the prop still pulls and brakes about the same.  RPMS need to be about 7800 on these beasts to get the noise. This is where the NMP velocity stack comes in....reduces the top end RPM....and helps distribute more torque down lower so you are not loosing it.

If you just don't open the carb up all the way you can chop the top RPM down that 200-300 but you loose the benefit of the lowered torque curve.

These little gems are not for everybody and it takes a little getting used to it...it will not have the top end pull if you cob it.....but then again if you know what you are doing you don't need to cob it with a 170DZ anyways. The only combo I know of that has even close power is the OS 200 and suspect it has a little more grunt across the top of things...but it is double the price and who knows about reliability. We know the 160's and 170's are good on the reliability scale.

As for aileron differential....I find that the more accurate I measure the deflections the better I can dial in a little differential in the radio. Yes more positive in the wing will tend to adjust the rolls to a more speed sensitive differential setting.

Troy