[NSRCA-discussion] BEC

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Jun 6 12:30:55 AKDT 2008

I have not used a BEC in anything larger than ~ 500 watts. (I have never had anything larger than 500w yet, either!). I have used the ESC's built-in BEC as well as a seperate BEC and have never had a problem.

However, the problems that I have heard of is with the higher powered setups, which is interference with the receiver. This is one reason for the opto-isolated throttle input to the ESC - to eliminate an electrical connection between the ESC and receiver. In fact, it would not be a bad idea to have a fiber-optic cable running between the two, but maybe that is overkill.

The 72MHz receivers would be more susceptible to this type of interference, but it is not inconceivable that the electrical noise would not interfere with the decoder in a 2.4GHz RX, or the servos for that matter.

Bob R