[NSRCA-discussion] 2009-2010 Rules proposals

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Thu Jul 10 10:23:36 AKDT 2008

I'll have to depart from the radii thing a little, but I have a judging
question.

One of the guys at my field asked me this question last nite and I gave him
MY answer, but I am not sure I was correct so enlighten me guys.

The maneuver is the Double Stall Turn @ center.  The wind is blowing 30 mph
straight down the runway. The pilot enters the box , flies straight and
level to the pole and pulls the correct amount of elevtor so that, in spite
of the fact that the fuse is at a 30 degree angle to the flight path, the
C.G. is tracing a perfect vertical upline. The power is lowered sufficiently
to enable the stall and just at the point where the upward momentum stops
and rotation commences, the plane is blown back directly over the pole.
Rotation completes and down elev applied so that the downline stays on the
pole and the pull for the other half of the maneuver is not quiite tight
enough so that additional ground is lost and the next upline although wind
compensated is now making the maneuver off-center by 1/2. On the next
rotation the same thing happens again and the effect results in the total
maneuver being 3/4 off-center with recovery being on the correct altitude
line.

In responce, I indicated that I was not at all sure what the correct reward
would be, but I told him that if I was in the chair I would probably end up
giving him a 6 point deduction, i.e., 2 for each quarter, but I also advised
that I wasn't sure that there wasn't something in the book to make any
allowance like the spin entry weathervaning stuff.

I need some help on this one guys, so hit me.

Georgie