[NSRCA-discussion] Judging by committee?

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 21:04:17 AKST 2008

Ryan should have the disc with the scores by Monday at the latest. I'd be interested to hear about the findings as well.

After some initial looking and experimenting myself, it looks like this:

You definitely need more judges for this to work. if you have only 3 judges in the chair, and one consistently scores lower across the board than the others, when he gets up to fly, you lose the lowest judge...and that makes that person's scores even higher in comparison. This is definitely a case for knowing your downgrades!

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with bias, that is a different subject entirely and everyone can plainly see how that could effect things if a judge was less than fair. The low judge may simply be more experienced and catches more downgrades for instance.

The wierd thing about this system is that no matter what, every pilot will have a different set of judges than everyone else...because he can't judge himself. If you throw out the high and low, you minimoze the effect. So I can certainly see where and how it COULD work!

But is it practical? Not sure.

What exactly happened at Tangerine? Not certain. I watched as much as I could. I know that at least for the first 3 rounds, the points spread was larger than it has been in a very long time down here. Whether that is a function of a new pattern or this particular system is anybody's guess.

Bottom line I guess, from what I saw I would caution against doing it this way in a small class. In my opinion you need at least 6 contestants so you have 5 sets of scores, throw out the high and low and have 3 to average. That could certainly work in the right circumstances. or have at least 2 masters or whatever judges just to keep consistency between contestants.

-Mike