[NSRCA-discussion] Judging by committee?

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 16:57:34 AKST 2008

As it turns out, we, Ryan, David and I, agreed that Tangerine wasn't the
best turnout for this type of judging to be used. We couldn't drop high and
low for the whole contest. One thing I am disappointed in not doing was
having a couple of Masters pilots behind us judging as well to compare
scores to afterwards. When we get the scores, we can test the high/low
dropping on the P's and see if it changes anything. Having done this with a
previous contests results, scores don't change all that much, and placements
even less. But it's something we want to look into.

Thinking about the way this would work, 4 judges would be needed, 5
contestants, not 6. This will give us a high and low drop. Obviously the
more judges, you could have more drops, in even increments. Ryan and I have
gone back and forth about this, and trust me, he does NOT say things to
appease me (neither does Joe). That's what has kept our friendship going
strong for as long as it's been.

I know the system works; it’s proven to do so before. What I don’t know is
what it’ll take to get it to work at the local level, if at all. If it doesn
’t work, so be it. It was another way to try to get judging results that
everyone would be satisfied with. I’m not saying this is the best way, but
it’s another way. Lets not forget the #1 rule in pattern.......to have FUN!

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com
www.composite-arf.com

    Finally got a chance to read the current K-factor and saw a note on the
Tangerine contest. The article mentioned FAI was judged by a commity of the
FAI pilots. Could someone please provide details. Do you think you could
keep your objectivity? For those that were there how did it work out? Sound
interesting because you would finally be judged by pilots who know the FAI
rules and the sequence.
     Could this be a solution for the oversized Masters class? Obvious
drawbacks too, but trying to inspire some thought.

    Anthony

9:09 AM