[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba FASST System

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sun Jan 27 06:54:05 AKST 2008

Ron,
 Great question. One way to find out would be to find someone who has
screwed up their FASST system Tx (re-initialized the ID to 0000) and see if
your Tx controls their Rx too. I'm thinking that the ID that we're concerned
about is stored in the FASST module NOT the Tx itself though. Think about
it. You can put a FASST module in a 9Z. When the 9Z came out, 2.4GHz was
only popular in car radios. It's very unlikely that the 9Z has a unique ID
assigned to each Tx. I could be wrong but I bet the ID is embedded in the
module NOT the Tx itself. One way to verify this would be to take 2
identical FASST systems that are working correctly (i.e. each one controls
it's own Rx) and swap Tx modules. If they now control the "other" Rx then
the ID  is embedded in the module.

Unfortunately you still can't verify that your module / Tx / whatever has
not been re-set to ID 0000 unless you have a known "bad" system. What a
bummer. The ID should be completely non-volatile, not stored in EEPROM or
Flash. I guess Futaba doesn't use Maxim / Dallas ID chips.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com