[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba FASST System

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Jan 27 06:30:14 AKST 2008

  I've been thinking about the problem that occurs with the Futaba
FASST system when the owner turns on the transmitter and turns it off
within the 5 second "boot up" period.  Namely, that the transmitter's
code defaults to 0000 and the owner must rebind the receiver to the
new transmitter code.  However, EVERYONE who does this now has a 0000
"unique" code in their FASST system and can control other airplanes
with the same code.

I wonder what happens  to the ordinary transmitters with a new FASST
system module plugged in.  Do non-FASST transmitters also have this
code and, if I've turned on my transmitter and turned it off within
the 5 second "boot up" period, has my transmitter gone to the default
code?  I know I've done this with my transmitter and I'm sure I'm not
the only one.  For example, I decide to do some transmitter
programming and turn on my transmitter.  Then I decide to go to the
mode in which my transmitter's RF section is not transmitting, so I
shut it off and go to the "no RF" mode, all within 5 seconds.  Did I
just make my transmitter's code default to 0000?

This could be really bad if the situation I described is true.
Please tell me it isn't like this.

BTW, check out this url:  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/
showthread.php?t=807785#post9017413
The thread involves modeler's experiences of testing their FASST
systems at local hobby shops with Futaba's "FASST test station".

Ron Van Putte