[NSRCA-discussion] aero question

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 5 19:21:10 AKST 2008

Jason, this should be an interesting discussion. I also have increasing roll
as well as some pitch with greater than normal rudder, not much but
noticeable. We take great pains to build a straight, symmetrical and
balanced airframe then fly it in non-symmetrical rotating prop wash. There
are probably at least a half dozen contributors. The flying height of the
tail and high thrust angles with big aggressive props are difficult to
counter in high yaw conditions. Is there any roll with heavy rudder in
horizontal flight? With high power? Low Power? Both knife edges? With or
without wheel pants? Try removing the wheel pants they are far enough from
the fuselage to present significant lift / side force / roll influence in
high yaw conditions. Beats me. Stuff to make an old guys head hurt.
Jim Hiller