[NSRCA-discussion] aero question

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Sat Jan 5 19:00:50 AKST 2008

It depends. On a crapload of things.

Wing incidence, CG, dihedral, stab incidence, planform of wing (sweep etc),
amount of throw required for KE vs full deflection, flying speed and thrust
to some degree, could be a number of things.

A raked hinge line is more for pitch coupling than roll, and it is only
pretty small...unless the overall outline of the fin/rudder stays the same,
in which case the rudder area distribution changes (less area at the top if
raked rearward). . That's a little more of a dramatic effect.

I sort of agree with Nat, sounds like the incidence or possibly CG and
incidence is off. All other things being equal that is. I could be totally
wrong though. but I had one do that before and after changing the wing AND
stab incidence after re-trimming, it went away.

If it doesn't take much rudder deflection for KE (ie very modern super tall
fuse) then it could be simply masking the coupling somewhat. As in it's
there, but at the deflection used for KE it's not noticable at all. In which
case it usually brings us back to dihedral, or simply wing incidence and/or
CG.

I could be totally wrong, but it really just depends on so many things.

-Mike