[NSRCA-discussion] Exper Class??

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Feb 4 10:34:40 AKST 2008

Not to push...but are there any actual examples of this?  Your first
scenario shouldn¹t exist, because a point system IS in place...so that¹s
clearly just speculative.  But in the scenario of Masters...where we do have
that situation, (guys the hang there rather than move to FAI) I really don¹t
know many that would quit...IF...they could move back to Advanced.  It¹s not
usually the guy in 2nd or 3rd place that is frustrated by the guy
perpetually in first.  In fact, I¹d argue, that guy in 1st place is what
motivates them to practice and fly...in hopes of beating them!  (I¹ll pick
on David Snow for a sec, but I can guarantee you that Bill Ahrens burns
every gallon of fuel with a little target picture of Dave on his
transmitter!)   No, the frustrated guy (IMHO) is the one toward the bottom
of the pack...that¹s just flying out of his league.  THAT would be
frustrating to many.  And for them, the option of moving back to a more
appropriate class should be an option.  Regardless of the reason.  For some,
it¹s simply a change in life responsibilities...new job, new child, new
family, new priority.  Whatever, they can¹t step up to the level that they
have now achieved.

I really do think people can make that decision for themselves.

If Jason (sorry Jason, you¹re just fun to pick on) goes back and flies
advanced and cleans up...well guess what, he¹s the best guy flying advanced.
A little unchallenging for him and it would get old...but to be honest...it
feels that way when he or Andrew show up at our local contests anyway.  The
rest of us fight to see who can score the most 900¹s against them.  2nd
place becomes a big victory (as does a 950!)

-M