[NSRCA-discussion] 3m mintor bearing

Pascoe,Tim [Burlington] Tim.Pascoe at ec.gc.ca
Wed Dec 31 04:34:29 AKST 2008

The bearing is not made just for this engine, but it might as well be. I
actually contacted the company that makes them last year trying to track
it down in, before finally getting it from Lance. The message below was
from Claudio at 3M:

Dear Tim,

the rear bearing for the 170 is produced by INA under the code number
3904 2Z. I suspect that other producers, like NSK, or SKF, should have
this bearing in their catalogue under the same code number, since the
codes are unified. In any case the dimensions can be verified as
follows: ID 20mm, OD 37mm, width 13mm. It is a shielded (polyamid
shields) double bearing with angular thrust.

Sincerely,

Claudio

And the reply from Shaefller, which is the dealer for INA here in
Canada:

Tim, the bearing we believe you are looking for is a 3904. Currently no
North American stock. Delivery from production is Dec 2007.

We do show stock in other Schaeffler warehouses around the world but
that would involve an air shipment, brokerage etc. Might not be worth it
to you for a couple of pieces. Let me know if you would like us to
proceed.

Regards

Rob Parkhill

All I can say is.....buy it from Lance, or make the spacer for the 1.40
bearing. Or...you can buy mine if you take the engine too - new
bearings, and a front/rear spare, including a Karl Mueller header for
$250.

Tim