[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 07:41:07 AKDT 2007

I did a very quick drawing with pilot stations 75' apart (probably the max at local meets - most closer) and each centerline skewed 10 deg, then added flight paths at 150 & 175m. This creates a "diamond of death" between the center poles and each flight path that represents roughly 10% of the flight area between the paths. The centers are roughly 350' apart at the 175m poles. (However, the "point" of the diamond is only half that.) Flight data show that a typical loop diameter is on the order of 300' (150' radius), so many center maneuvers would occupy the diamond for some period of time.

Interestingly, this would work at many fields as the 175m path only extends to around 250m out and the 150m comes in to around 50m. More area in the footprint - but not more than generally available.

Certainly, the chance for turnaround mid-airs is eliminated and, generally, only half of a center maneuver would be exposed to the diamond.

I'm all for reducing the risk of mid-airs, but also don't wish to rush into something that increases that risk. Parallel paths don't cross - hard for both pilots to maintain that orientation (especially in a cross-wind). Crossing flight paths kinda reminds me of the old county fair figure 8 jalopy races.

Earl