[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Sep 28 04:52:05 AKDT 2007

IMHO, this is sort of like the old saying that a stopped clock has the exact time at least twice a day. :-)

  If the planes are flown at a 10 degree (or 20 or whatever) offset, then their paths DO cross on every pass. If they are flown parallel, there is the possibility that their paths NEVER cross, if flown at slightly different distances. Therefore, one might conclude that if the pilots are proactive about collision avoidance, flying parallel is safer. If they fly without any measure of avoidance in mind, flying offset might be safer. I suspect most of the competitors don't fly with avoidance in mind.

  As for the existing situation (flying parallel) where have most of the midairs occurred? Center, turnarounds, other? Of the midairs that I can remember, most of them occurred with at least one plane in a turnaround manuever.

  When flying an offset, the turnarounds would be shifted away from each other somewhat. Also, with an offset, a pilot would only have to think about collision avoidance in certain parts of the sky (where the flight paths cross) instead of the whole box if flying 0 offset.

I think it would be interesting to try this, but for it to reveal any useful data it would have to be done over a long period of time and statistics collected. Who wants to be a statistic??? :-)

  Bob R.