[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Sep 26 15:51:50 AKDT 2007

Flight line separation is always a good idea. You guys in the Soutwest (probably Southeast also and possibly most everywhere except for Northeast), have large enough fields where this is viable. I haven't been to many fields here in the Northeast but from what I hear these are generally pretty tight

?

I personally have never been involved in a mid-air in some 30 years of competition but I have witnessed several right in front of me.....sometimes even when I judged. That's a scary and helpless feeling not to mention expensive as Mike points out.

?

Maybe we should look at a different way to fly the patterns in those places that can do it..... rather than 2 lines flying simultaneously in parallel paths in the same air space, use?the single?runway available but slant the lines 15-20 degrees, forming a very wide?A. This effectively enlarges the air space by quite a bit and will not work for?some sites with overflight restrictions. But it will for many. CD's would?be responsible for?changes to their box lines but hey, box lines are needed anyway so what's the difference if the 2 boxes are adjacent or at an angle to one another?

?

Doesn't eliminate the problem of course.....but the potential amount of contact time is greatly reduced

?

MattK