[NSRCA-discussion] Dufus Moment

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Sep 19 13:58:05 AKDT 2007

We all try to avoid a "dufus moment", because you waste time and feel
so dumb when you realize what you've done.  I'm posting this to help
one or more of you from having your own "dufus moment" on this subject.

I am setting up a new Extreme Flight 47.5" span Yak-54 (REALLY NICE
AIRPLANE!).  I decided to try to program my Futaba 9ZAP transmitter
to work with a 6-channel Vampower dual conversion receiver.  I began
mixing channel 1 into channel 5.  That didn't work at all.  Then I
tried doing a programmable mix of channel 1 into channel 6.  That
sorta worked, but  I could still move the right aileron (channel 6)
with one of the dials on the front of the transmitter and couldn't
null out the effect of the dial.  I didn't like that, so, after
fussing with it for an hour or so, I decided to use an 8-channel
Vampower dual conversion receiver instead.  I installed the receiver
and mixed channel 1 into channel 7.  After I'd been playing around
with it for a while, I remembered that I'd want aileron differential,
so I  actuated the ADF.  This is when things really got weird.  The
dual rate worked fine on the left aileron (channel 1), but was
reversed on the left aileron (channel 7).  Not only that, but the
servo neutrals changed when I switched the aileron dual rate from
high to low and it took some weird settings in the ADF to get the
ailerons to work properly in high rate.  On top of that, I still
couldn't get low rate to work.  After three hours of frustration and
no small amount of profane language, I discovered what I'd done.

BOTH the channel 1 to channel 7 programmable mix and aileron
differential options were actuated!  I turned off the channel 1 to
channel 7 programmable mix and I had the ailerons working exactly the
way I wanted within fifteen minutes.

Will somebody please tell me they've done the same thing so I don't
feel like the only dumb 9Z programmer in the List?

Ron