[NSRCA-discussion] Metal Servo Arms

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Sep 1 05:18:50 AKDT 2007

Earl,

  You are right about soft mounts. One thing I don't understand is why soft mounts have not made much progress in the larger 50cc+ size planes.

  Bob R.

Earl Haury <ejhaury at comcast.net> wrote:
      Bob

  I agree - in reality servo arm / spline strength is pretty much of a mute point for pattern. I did the tests after a friend broke an 8411 shaft on a big gasser, and some heli friends claimed the Al arms stripped the spines from nylon servo shafts. Takes excessive force to do either.

  Recall changing a clevis to a ball link on a Rossi carb arm - arm broke on the first flight, a doubled arm broke on the next - back to a clevis and never broke another. Vibratory forces aren't understood by most - but experience is a great teacher.

  Somewhere I've some DSA data gathered with mini-accelerometers mounted on aileron servo mounts, firewalls, etc. One look at those data with and without a soft mount will make one a believer in soft mounts!

  Earl