[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane

Duane Beck duane.e.beck at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 05:00:21 AKDT 2007

> At touch down the plane isn't crabbed. It is perpendicular to the
> runway headed into the wind, and it got there without me touching the
> rudder.

For this to happen, either you turned it into the wind by banking with
the ailerons, or you're flying "uncoordinated" - that is, with the
fuselage not parallel to the slipstream.

Did you fly approaches in both directions?
What happens if you fly the approach without rudder or ailerons (just
use throttle and elevator trim)?
What happens if you fly the approach without changing the throttle?
What happens if you establish a crab angle to correct for crosswind
drift flying along the runway, trim for level flight, and take hands off
the controls?

An airplane does not turn into the wind on its own until it contacts the
ground (or any other fixed object).

Duane