[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 20:54:15 AKDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Duane Beck wrote:

> To travel in a straight line along the runway, you'd have to be
> crabbed into the wind.

I wouldn't say I traveled in a straight line along the runway but I
could get pretty close with a lot of practice.

> You may not have touched the rudder, but I bet you banked the
> airplane, turning into the wind to establish your crab angle.

Yes, I banked the airplane but I wouldn't say I established a steady
crab angle.

> If you didn't crab into the wind and the airplane is aligned with
> the runway but drifting sideways, you'd have to time the touchdown
> to land on the runway.

At touch down the plane isn't crabbed. It is perpendicular to the
runway headed into the wind, and it got there without me touching the
rudder.

> Either way, without cross-controlling, you're going to put side
> loads on the landing gear when you touch down.

There is no side load on the landing gear as there is no velocity
vector along the runway.