[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane

Jim Alberico alberji at charter.net
Thu Oct 25 17:36:59 AKDT 2007

> > If you didn't crab into the wind and the airplane is
> aligned with the
> > runway but drifting sideways, you'd have to time the
> touchdown to land
> > on the runway.
>
> At touch down the plane isn't crabbed. It is perpendicular to
> the runway headed into the wind, and it got there without me
> touching the rudder.

:-D
LOL.  It's crabbed 90 degrees, then.  So-calling crabbing has no physical
meaning except for reference to some straight ground track.  Here we'd have
to assume the reference is the line running down the runway centerline.

> > Either way, without cross-controlling, you're going to put
> side loads
> > on the landing gear when you touch down.
>
> There is no side load on the landing gear as there is no
> velocity vector along the runway.

At those high wind speeds, that makes sense.  ...but, I bet you twiddled
with the ailerons and throttle all the way down.  :-)

Jim A