[NSRCA-discussion] Turbulence

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Oct 12 03:31:11 AKDT 2007

Nat,

  Good question, may be as much pilot preference as anything.

  Not exactly on topic, but my son has a Sypher foamie that he loves to fly, he is very good at all the 3D flying with it. I don't care too much for it myself, it is actually slightly unstable in yaw. If you roll it on its side flying at full throttle, you will have to give it bottom rudder to keep it from climbing. This happens on both sides. At the slower speeds, you don't give it any rudder at all to hold knife edge, and only give slight top rudder if you want high-alpha knife edge. It is balanced for neutral stability in pitch.

  Bob R.

Nat Penton <natpenton at centurytel.net> wrote:
          Simple physics tells us moving the center of lift inboard ( more taper ) will benefit flying in turbulent conditions. As a side note, since turbulence is fractal, speed will benefit.

  Back to subject, and question. Directionally it appears the less directionally stable the airplane the less change in direction due to a gust. We prefer the airplane moves over without a change in direction.

  Where and how do we draw the line on direction stability ?