[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder

Stuart Chale schale at optonline.net
Wed Oct 10 05:49:42 AKDT 2007

You guys have me a bit confused as well.  I do not think it is as simple as
the plane blows with the wind.  Most pattern designs will "weather-vane" .
They will, on there own, establish a crab angle into the wind.  I am sure it
varies by design.  The more area behind the CG compared to in front of the
CG would make it weather-vane into the wind more (as I see it).  If the
plane did not "feel" the wind then why is it easier to stall turn into the
wind then with it?  Stalling with the wind (stalling out with a cross wind
blowing out) is difficult at best.  When the plane crabs into the wind (on
its own) the prop direction (thrust) is now counteracting some of the just
getting blown with the wind.  In a perfect design the increased side thrust
from the prop would compensate for the opposite movement of being blown by
the wind.  I think once you go to knife edge or do rolling maneuvers the
added area of the wing getting blown by the cross wind and the fact that
the plane will not "weather-vane" in its pitch axis when on its side causes
the plane to "just get blown with the wind" and go along for the ride.

Stuart

  _____