[NSRCA-discussion] Was quiet: Now Judging / Performing StallTurns

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 09:02:14 AKST 2007

I am reluctant to respond here as others more capable than I have already
responded.
Most take it for granted that the airplane is properly trimmed when often it
may not be trimmed well enough. The real key to consistent stall turns is
pitch trim. The airplane needs to hold vertical with or without power or
while reducing power approaching the turn position. Most stall turns are
included in combination turnaround maneuvers where it is difficult to see
small pitch changes. If the airplane stops it will flop if it is not
vertical. Sometimes adding a lot of power to blow the tail over can prevent
a flop often resulting in a sever downgrade due to wing rotation and a messy
recovery. Carrying a little power helps a lot but much more than a high idle
can pull it over offsetting the center of rotation to the wing tip.
Impatience is your enemy, as premature application of rudder in calm air
will always result in an offset down line.
Others will probably correct me or add to this but until I could control the
vertical pitch a descent stall turn was out of reach.
Jim Hiller