[NSRCA-discussion] Epoxy Question

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 15:32:07 AKST 2007

This reminds me of a workshop incident 29 years ago . . . .    I was making a spacer out of 5/8" particle board to put an aftermarket aircleaner on my 1978 Chevy Monza. I decided to "fuelproof" the spacer, but wanted to get it done in a hurry, so I mixed up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and thinned it quite a bit with alcohol. I painted the mixture on the spacer and was waiting for it to cure, when all of a sudden an epoxy "snake" started growing out of the mixing cup. It made kind of a hissing, snapping sound, and grew to be about 8 inches long. I figured the epoxy heated up enough to "boil" the epoxy while it was still somewhat pliable. The result was an interesting honey colored rock hard piece of epoxy foam.  The epoxy on the particle board cured fine.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com