[NSRCA-discussion] Epoxy Question-Gray's response

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 05:45:24 AKST 2007

Here's THE answer from "Master Fowler".
NSRCA list dudes..

I have been at home on vacation so I have not check the NSRCA list. Lance
notified me of the epoxy question so here is my answer.
I did not see the original question but I think I have the general idea.
Alcohols can be used to thin epoxy resins and their blends. The most
efficient and fastest evaporating is methanol. Then ethanol and isopropyl.
All can be used to thin epoxy, but only methanol comes close to having an
evaporation rate fast enough to be useable. What that means is isopropyl
will require a long flash time to ensure that no solvent is trapped in your
epoxy mix, which will seriously degrade the properties. If your epoxy starts
thickening faster than the solvent evaporation rate you will have a problem.
The main reason to use an alcohol as an epoxy solvent is because the alcohol
will not destroy foam cores used for wings. If this is the application of
the epoxy in question, then use methanol if you can. One real common problem
with ethanol and isopropyl is they are usually sold not as 100%, but have
other things in them such as water and other solvents. Water will mess up
your epoxy and the other solvents may hurt your foam.

It may be difficult to find near 100% pure (99% is okay) alcohols
(especially ethanol), and methanol is usually the easiest to obtain. If you
are not on foam the use of acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, lacquer thinner,
toluene all work better.

Also, the use of any solvent in the epoxy blend must be used as a coating
(very thin coat) to allow the solvent to flash.

 I have also found that the over use of ethanol during the construction of
your pattern plane can have detrimental effects on proper alignment.....

Happy Thanksgiving.....speaking of ethanol, my family allows my Aunt's ex
husband at our TG because he is part owner of a winery, and brings much to
compensate for his personality.

Gray Fowler