[NSRCA-discussion] OS 160FX First start procedure

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed May 30 21:36:53 AKDT 2007

Kevin,
 Assuming you're using a pump and you run the motor dry at the end of the day, this is to be expected. Even if you don't run it dry, the first start of the day can be a bit more work than usual. You need to prime the pump / motor to get it to start quickly. I normally crank the motor with an electric starter and the glow plug igniter disconnected. I do this with the throttle open about 3/4 to full-open for about 15 to 20 seconds. Don't do it too long! If in doubt do it for about 10 seconds and then light the glow plug and try to start it. If it cranks for a long time, try to prime it again. If you like to hand start, ask Jon Lowe. He has a good technique that works pretty quickly. After I start mine the first time I usually hand start it too. Just bump the prop backwards against compression and it should go. If not, turn off the glow and turn the prop a few times (forwards) then light the plug and bump it backwards. It should start on a back-flip if everything is right. The OS 160 is really easy to start - you shouldn't need to flip the plane over. I have never needed to do that.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com