[NSRCA-discussion] Judges' Positioning, Zero Lines, and Box Definition

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed May 16 18:09:51 AKDT 2007

Yes, but IMHO, we are really nit picking here. :-)  I don't recall ever sitting more than 10 feet from the pilot, but lets say the judge is sitting 30 feet away from the pilot.  The plane is 100 meters out from the flightline, so the plane is less than 10 feet outside the box if it appears to the judge that it is inline with the pole at 150 meters.  That is probably less than the measurement uncertainty of the judge's eyeballs being able to extend an imaginary line perfectly vertical from the pole.  If the plane is that close, I will err in favor of the pilot. If someone flies closer to the flightline than 100 meters, they will probably not be getting very good scores for other reasons. :-)

  Bob R.

Don Ramsey <donramsey at gmail.com> wrote:
      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  o\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  w\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  .shape {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }              Georgie is corect, if you are sitting to the left of the pilot and the the turnaround is at the left then the box is actually a little short of the pole if he is inside 150 meters, at the pole if at 150 meters and a past the pole if he is outside 150 meters.  You have to extend the line from the pilot to the box pole and beyond to make an accurate judgment on the box.  This is calibration, each judge should do it.

  Don