[NSRCA-discussion] Flying in wind

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Thu Mar 15 18:17:47 AKDT 2007

I just want to chime in to second what RVP is trying to point out here. As pattern pilots/enthusiasts we take for granted being able to fly a straight track parallel to the runway with wings level... you'd probably be surprised how many sport pilots can't (or won't) do that. By definition, and as a result by nature, we are precise, exacting pilots. While we concentrate on symmetry and flow of maneuvers, other pilots just try to get through a maneuver without getting disoriented and crashing. I think this is the very reason some view pattern pilots as elitists in this sport (and nevermind the expense of our equipment). Then to top it all off, we need to be competitive... we need to believe that on any given weekend we can beat everyone else in our respective classes. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just healthy competition to us, but I can see why others might see it otherwise.

Matt