[NSRCA-discussion] New Field lay out Advice

wgalligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Thu Mar 15 11:39:29 AKDT 2007

Yea... Archie,

I totally agree.  We have members that have soloed.  But because they didn't have good rudder training or crosswind experience they are either taking off a odd angles and landing by flying across the runway and hoping they settle somewhere in the middle.  Or they just plain wont fly with some wind or crosswind.  This time of year in Texas is just as bad as in Kansas and wind days under 10-20mph will be between weather fronts.

Build the runway that best suits the lay of the land and keeps the over fly area from people,buildings and animals.  If you get a runway with favorable winds then that's a bonus.

We are currently in the process of locating a flying field and this has come up more then once about the wind.  I personally like a north facing runway.  That way you can fly almost at any time of the day.  But unfortunately our prevailing winds or north and south here and that is going to dictate usually an east facing field for most club flyers.
Fortunately we have a club not too far away that has west facing field and I like that because of the Texas heat.  I can go flying early in the morning and be home by 1:30 and still have most of my day.  There is a silver lining to any situation.

Wayne Galligan
SkyBlazers R/C Club