[NSRCA-discussion] Spins, was Judging Question

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Mar 1 17:17:19 AKST 2007

That is something that I noticed a long time ago, particularly for flat spins. Let go of everything, but give ailerons in the same direction of the spin. It comes out of a flat spin much quicker.

  I'm no aerodynamicist, but my theory is that the raised aileron helps the airflow to reattach to the stalled wing.

  Bob R.

jonlowe at aol.com wrote:
  Ok, since you mentioned spins, and I know this is a little off the
original topic, why do airplanes recover from spins with aileron input
faster than just with rudder and elevator? My Black Magic, Aggressor,
and Arresti III all exhibit this behavior. They recover almost
instantly if I leave aileron in, but take about 1/4 turn or a little
more to recover if I don't.

Jon