[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 07:26:54 AKDT 2007

Flying style has got everything to do with how your plane flies with
electric as compared to a glow motor.  We have flown in several contests
here in California where the wind is blowing in excess of 18mph and the
electric planes handle the wind equally, if not better, than the glow planes
- all due to the way the pilot flies the plane.  I do think that we are
leading the pack over here in electric usage though - 50% of a pattern
contest is usually running electric and that runs through all the classes -
not just the upper classes.  We have electric usage in Sportsman all the way
to FAI - and the planes are not expensive - these are run-of-the-mill planes
available from Tower/Horizon etc. and doing well.  Flying style also
dictates how many mah you are using in your batteries as well.  We have
several FAI pilots here that do not draw much more than 3600mah out of their
packs on a full P7 sequence in the wind and in little to no wind they are in
the 2900 range.

I can only imagine how well my Impact would fly if it was at 5kg instead of
its almost 6kg - yes, this was a conversion from glow to electric so there
are a few "weighs" to save weight now.

  _____