[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Jim Woodward Jim.Woodward at armorholdings.com
Fri Jun 22 06:59:23 AKDT 2007

I ditched those shoes after Round 3 of last years nats - which was the
3rd in a row with so much loss of power as to not be able to fly correct
maneuver geometry.

However - electric has never been billed as "average-guy" pattern.  If
you decided to stray from setups like those used by Dave, Chad, Jason,
Jerry, Tony you will quickly find yourself paying your way through an
un-intended "R & D" circle.  The actual plane costs are going to be an
after-thought compared to the price of all the other components.  Given
the rapidly changing technology and reputation for degraded packs after
customer use or misuse, the resale market is basically-nill.  Also, it
turns out that one person who bought my packs from after the nats did so
only to find out some of the cells were bad - thankfully taken care of
my the manufacturer to my knowledge (and apologies to the buyer).  The
weight is really all about which batteries you use.  Are you selecting 3
lb packs or 2.5 lb packs...  It does suck though when restringing the
rudder from 4-40 gear to 2-56 becomes your option to reduce weight :-) .
The one thing I absolutely refused to do though was remove the wheel
pants.  Also, I think remembering that the APC 20x15E was noticeably
lighter than something like the 21x14.  I also bought small glow-motor
AL spinner-hubs, and drilled them out and tapped them to be used a the
actual prop bolt, saving weight by not using an actual prop bolt and
spinner - of course no switch was used, just a small 750 2-cell battery
into a Jaaico regulator, into the receiver pack.  However, I think
remembering that the TP5300's were something like 2.5 lbs.  With those I
would have been comfortably under weight and had power to spare for FAI
- should I have managed them correctly and such (used luxury items like
spinners and switches).

I think to fly electric well in a longevity sense, you need to be even
MORE "into" the power setup and essentially become and electric-flight
expert, than with the current glow setups.  It will be a difficult
transition if you are not totally committed to the E-systems nuisances
through the full realm of equipment and charging infrastructure.  If you
are not ready and enthused to become an E-expert, the PIA factor will
start to creep in and you'll start to think about just swinging an 18"
prop on a glow setup.  There is every bit the same need to carry "spare"
powertrain equipment with E as with Glow.  Also, another flyer in our
area simply noted that for him, more flying-time was the key to
improvement regardless of the platform.  Of course we all want the
absolute best flying plane and equipment we can get our hands on.  As
for my own decisions and "way" for which I can get flying time in and
such, it is more "valuable" to simply fill up and fly.  I felt for a
while that in calm air there was an advantage to the 20+ inch E-prop and
that there was a perceived "smoothness" gained with the E-setup.  In
retrospect if it is blowing past 10 mph that feeling is definitely gone
and anything higher, etc..... etc. etc., but now way off topic....

Anyway, just some of my experience.

Thanks,

Jim W.