[NSRCA-discussion] SPEKTRUM modules for JR transmitters

Randall Bearden rbearden56 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 11 06:03:01 AKDT 2007

On 6/10/07 8:14 AM, "JonLowe at aol.com" <JonLowe at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 6/9/2007 9:53:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
> rbearden56 at bellsouth.net writes:
>> You must be very careful when dealing with these connectors they cannot be
>> over tightened without damaging the connector and severely degrading the
>> transmitters output.  When you are dealing with the Gigahertz range most
>> connections are N-type OR SMA and you only need to torque then to ABOUT
>> 6inch/oz (FINGER TIGHT).  If you over tighten them you will damage it and
>> then your output will drop due to reflected energy back into the transmitter
>> module.  If you treat it like the old stuff it get bad quickly.  Don't
>> superglue it there is a compound to prevent the connectors from coming loose
>> that will not ruin it like super glue.
> Randy,
> You misunderstood what retaining nut I am talking about.  It is NOT a nut that
> completes part of the RF circuit. It is a nut that retains the body of the
> connector in the SPEKTRUM housing, just like the nut that retains an RJ-6
> connector in the back of a cable box or a TV.  If it comes loose far enough,
> it can allow the whole connector body to rotate, pulling loose the connection
> on the circuit board.  It is the flat nut shown at the bottom right of the
> picture below that retains the connector to the plastic housing.
>
> Jon Lowe
>

> See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .

Jon,

OK now I see what you  are talking about.  Does the connector have a flat
spot to prevent the connector from turning when the female connector is
attached?  I agree that if this is not secure then the internal connection
could be broken or frayed.  Now if you want to have the advantages of 2.4
GHz and the programming of an advanced 12 channel transmitter then you
should dump the JR conversion and go with the FUTABA pure bred (LOL).  If
you use super glue, then what happens if you need to remove the connection
for service or changing a cracked plastic case, like when you slam the JR on
the ground in frustration (LOL)?  Try some tread lock instead, so when your
hands are shaking it won¹t let the nuts and bolts come loose. (More LOL)

Good Luck at the NATS Jon,

Randy