[NSRCA-discussion] Ackerman question

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Mon Jan 15 19:20:04 AKST 2007

OK, this ackerman thing got me thinking again about this and a question
comes to light:

Many times we say that the servo arm should match the control arm to
minimize cable slack.  However, if we use a smaller servo arm than the
control arm I am now thinking that this does not exacerbate the cable
tension problem. In fact, it does nothing except reduce the surface
deflection.

If the goal is to use 100% of the servo travel (for precision) than an
equally spaced servo/control surface would only let the servo rotate +-
about 15 degrees for the average elevator.  This is less than 50% of the
servo's capability.  I always used smaller arms at the servo, or use a wheel
if I end up with too much slack.  I thought I was making the best of a bad
situation, but now I am thinking that there is no bad situation.  If the
clevis is on the hinge line (or the servo connection and control horn are
equally offset in the same direction) then you should get a constant tension
regardless of the mismatch in servo/control arms.  Is this right?

--Lance