[NSRCA-discussion] Ackerman question

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Jan 15 20:33:19 AKST 2007

Lance,

The surface control horn and the servo do NOT need to be the same distance
from the pivot point. Rather they only need to be the same "offset" from the
pivot point. A one to one ration is definitely not needed to maintain the
cable tension on the trailing cable. I do it all the time. My maximum travel
on the rudder is usually about 25-30degs the servo will easily do 50degs
each side. I use rather large control horns on the surface side and then use
the smallest servo wheel I can get use to the maximum throw I need. As I
said usually only 25degs. My D/R values are sitting around 70-80% on the
lowest rate I have. If I find that I'm flying on less than about 80% with no
need to go to 100% at anytime I change out the servo wheel to a smaller one
or go in a hole or two to get maximum resolution on the rudder that I can.
This makes rudder inputs smoother and more consistent. It also allows me to
run a right tight linkage that has no spongy or springy feel to it. This
helps in rudder corrections, finesse rudder inputs like rolling loops and
circles, and it also helps in snaps. A tight rudder linkage that is getting
good leverage on the rudder will exit snaps cleaner and not give a wiggle
when they are done. A spongy rudder linkage will give tail waggle on stall
turns, in point roll transitions, rollers, and snap exits.

Also using more of the servo will lessen any effects of servo gear and pot
wear, and will maximize trim resolution so that very fine movements are
possible. This stuff shows up in all surfaces and will translate in the
amount of mix being needed. Not the percentage of mix but how minute a
movement can be controlled in a mix situation. Basically this all allows you
to fine tune your model more closely.

see this article I wrote a while ago regarding the proper setup of a rudder
pull-pull system It explains it pretty well. Not a bunch of theory and
Ackerman stuff. Just the meat and potatoes of the deal. By the way it was
published in the KFactor and then posted on Central Hobbies website.
Specifically look at Figure #1 and #2

http://www.centralhobbies.com/instructional/linkage2/link21.html

Troy Newman