[NSRCA-discussion] Back to glow???!!!

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Jan 15 05:02:50 AKST 2007

I've been following the "glow vs electrics" debate. I was heavy into pattern from about '90 to '96 and was really into four-strokes before they became the norm.  Recently, I've been flying a small pattern type model (4S 2500mah battery), and love it. However, I'm not ready to make the jump to a full-blown 2m electric plane. Is there a good 90-ish size plane that converts well to electric, and what type of battery/motor/esc combo would this require? I'm thinking more in terms of a plane for Sportsman/Intermediate that my son could fly.

  Bob R.

Chad Northeast <chad at f3acanada.org> wrote:
  Hi Terry

I would be very surprised to see that happen. Electrics will never
replace glow (and vice versa), but those who fly electrics and like
their setups will likely take a lot of convincing to switch back. For
me it would take a "no electrics" rules change to force me back to
glow....and I would go back kicking and screaming!

E-power can be a huge money sucking R&D pit, especially if you deviate
just slightly from a common proven setup....that leaves a bad taste in
peoples mouths, and certainly feeds a lot of the negativity toward
e-power, and rightfully so.

Chad

Bob Richards
bob at toprudder.com