[NSRCA-discussion] Controll Systems

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Thu Jan 11 18:26:39 AKST 2007

There's a case where a spring tensioning system might help....

Which would be heavier?  The change to wood pushrod or the spring tensioning system putting the servo on rails and that pulley trick to take side-load off the servo output shaft?

Just what would it take to beef up the rudder hinge at the control horn to deal with the tension? (spring tension = servo rated torque to prevent slack line under flight loads)

There's a trick with a spring in-line that is used in some boat steering setups (I've seen it in person-carrying runabouts)  Keeps the cables tight but allows for differential expansion of the hull vs the cables...  Not a total cure for the differential expansion load on the servo, but it would be an improvement vs the case that pulled a servo apart.  If appropriate springs could be found, it would be light.