[NSRCA-discussion] Small Models ... good for thefutureofthePattern Event?

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Thu Jan 4 14:02:00 AKST 2007

Again... If the old Sportsman sequence was too short, the competitor was
probably ready for the next class.

By the end of the old sequence I NEEDED TO LAND.  Flying for score puts an
added stress level on the pilot that you just don't get when "boring holes
in the sky."

First competition round for most people I have seen (when I have seen people
fly their first competition) by the end of the round they were so nervous
they were having problems doing the double-immelman.

Making the "Novice" class sequence longer I don't think was doing Pattern a
favor. (Remember... I'm one of the guys flying Sportsman...)

(and I oppose the flying of 2 passes though the sequence with just one
takeoff and landing.)

If the Sportsman sequence had been left alone, and Intermediate hadn't been
changed... I'd have done one contest at Sportsman this year (2007), and then
gone Intermediate.  As is... I have no incentive to move up and the new
Intermediate demands more of the plane than the old sequence... my plane
won't do the new sequence.  It will do the old one.