[NSRCA-discussion] Small Models ... good for thefutureofthePattern Event?

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 13:03:35 AKST 2007

I tend to agree with you in principle.  The new sequence does require a
good power to weight for the vertical upline to make it look good.
However, the old sequence was too short.  If you only did one sequence
per round, they got very little time in the air.  Don't want to
overload them, but give them enough air time to make them think it was
worth the effort.  I think the new sequence is about the right length,
but after judging the new sequence at Ocala, I wished they'd come up
with another manuever besides doing the reverse cuban 8 twice in the
sequence.

One of the purposes of the sportsman sequence is to let the novice
learn how to maintain a straight line.  A lot of that is learning how
to use the rudder, which most sport flyers think is only for takeoff
and landing rolls.  Unfortunately, many sport airplanes have a large
amount of roll coupling with rudder, to include the Ugly stick.  This
can make it frustrating for the novice competitor, and even a more
experienced coach if he doesn't realize what is going on, and may
actually discourage a new sportsman pilot.  Given a proper amount of
time before a contest, and experienced flyer can help the novice
compensate for the coupling with mixing.  However, if the novice
appears to be at all serious about trying pattern, letting him fly your
backup airplane on a buddy box will show him how easy a pattern plane
is to fly.  I've done that with a Venus II I've got, and the
pattern-flyers-to-be are astounded at how well it flies.  It has led to
them getting a plane more appropriate for pattern, and they don't spend
an arm and a leg.

I somewhat disagree on letting the sportsmen design the pattern.
Graduated intermediate pilots need to be involved, to be sure.  But the
whole point of sportsman is to teach basic patten flying skills that
can be built on in the following classes.  A sportsman pilot won't
fully comprehend that at his first few contests.

Just my $.02.

Jon Lowe