[NSRCA-discussion] Smaller Models

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Thu Jan 4 09:27:31 AKST 2007

While early 4-stroke may have needed 50% more displacement to produce the same useful thrust as 2-stroke... the difference is closer to 25% now.  A .91 OS FS-II has a HUGE power advantage over an OS FX .61 and with the stock mufflers, the .91 4-stroke comes out LIGHTER. (That 2-stroke muffler is HEAVY)

A .72 4-stroke is now a near even match in useable power to a .61 2-stroke.  The 4-stroke swings a larger diameter prop at a lower rpm and that is inherantly more efficient at converting the engine's power into thrust for the model.

********

As to putting a minimum weight restriction on... you may as well just set the rules and say that its a one-design contest. "You Will fly a Sig King Kobra" (or some other kit or ARF)  And even then you won't be stopping the high tech competition trend.

Quickie 500 pylon was SUPPOSED to be a low cost event.  The aircraft design and engines allowed were specified to a point where they thought it would prevent the tech-war and it would be a bunch of identical models with identical engines and identical radio systems... but people looking for every advantage possible found out how to work within the rules and build high tech palens that cost a bundle just to get 0.5 mph advantage over the inexpensive wood structure modelt the event was INTENDED to use.

You can overspecify and even make the competitors all put the planes together from a specific ARF, using a specific engine and a specific radio system... and you still won't prevent the "tech war" aspect of any competition.  Someone's going to choose to use different hinges... different control horns..different pushrods.... ANYHING they can to get that tiny advantage.

FHH