[NSRCA-discussion] Are we behind the times?

Woodward, Jim jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 30 03:56:36 AKDT 2007

Hi Lance,

I did not know that.  I have really thought about this issue here are
some of my underlying points:

1.  The flight takes place in a public forum - anyone can watch

2.  The pilot is not hidden from view - anyone can see who is flying

3.  The judges are not hidden from view - anyone can see who is judging

4.  The final results of the work effort of the judges and pilot effort
are posted - anyone can see the final scores

5.  There are two judges or more per single flight - thus there is 100%
more judging work taking place than piloting (at minimum)

What is missing is "how" the final scores were determined.  Because this
one most important ingredient is missing, it causes guessing and
interpretation of the raw scores, and creates a lot of side discussions
on who was scored what to get to that position.  Posting the raw scores
would facilitate "openness" and create a positive atmosphere surrounding
"scoring" of the contest.  If everything else about the flying and
judging is public, why not make the raw scores public?  It is the
competitors right to know how his group was scored (in my view).....
besides, it would accomplish everything I noted below.

The conversations about scoring are already taking place.  Move them in
to the public view just like everything else regarding the
flying/judging.

Thanks,

Jim W.