[NSRCA-discussion] Spectators vs Scribes

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Aug 28 07:15:07 AKDT 2007

One of the things that we¹ve successfully done away with is the need for
scribes...  And in doing so, we¹ve lost some ³forced² exposure and education
at the local club level.   When we used to run the contest here in
Cleveland, (and most that were run around the district), there was always a
big begging session at the local club meeting to get volunteers to be
scribes for EVERY class for EVERY round.  We needed quite a few people to
fill the chairs for the entire weekend.  It took some arm twisting, but
usually you could drum up enough people.

Those people invariably asked questions, learned a little more about
pattern, OFTEN had a small cursory interest which cause them to volunteer in
the first place, and the exposure to the contest, and sitting next to the
other competitors and learning the ropes, often tipped them over the edge to
trying it.  There was the frequent arm twisting of ³Hey...if you¹re going to
come out and scribe, why not bring a plane and try your hand at Novice??
I¹ll call you through it...²    That usually netted 3-4, if not 8-10 locals
to participate...and with a little luck...the bug would catch one of them.

We no longer have that need to beg people to scribe.  I¹m not saying we
should go back to that...just saying it¹s one more thing that¹s had a
negative impact on ³recruiting².

-Mark

On 8/28/07 9:00 AM, "Jerry Stebbins" <JAStebbins at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Seems like we are flogging the dead horse for some other reason than the
> "Spectators". TOC comparisons are a reach. Most "spectators" are other
> contestants/helpers. Few wannabes come out unless they are working, and if
> they have the pattern itch they would be there anyway. Those are they ones we
> can talk to/explain/cultivate/ let fly after the contest!.
> Maybe the old days of short shorts callers could be brought back by developing
> and forming a set of touring callers--how about calling the Dallas
> Cheerleaders and see if they would be interested. THAT would probably increase
> our "Spectator" base. :) :)
> Wonder what the underlying reason is for this thread-anyone willing to
> fess-up?
> Jerry

On Behalf  Of  Derek  Koopowitz

can you just imagine all the "oohhhss and  aahhhs"  from the spectators.
:)