[NSRCA-discussion] mode 1 and 2 together?

Adrien L Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Mon Aug 27 12:48:19 AKDT 2007

There is also mode 3, that Ivan Christensen flys. That is mode 1
backwards. He flys with ail and th on left, ele and rudder on right! Now
THAT would drive me crazy.

Terry T.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:07:42 -0700 (PDT) Bob Richards <bob at toprudder.com>
writes:
When I worked at a hobby shop in the late 70s, we sold a boat load of the
Cox Centurion .049 powered plane, and the associated 2 channel 2 stick
radio. Elevator on the left, rudder (roll control) on the right. Funny
thing is, I had no problem flying those. Just recently, a friend of mine
let me fly his mode 1 plane (at altitude) and I did ok with it, but
really had to think about it. It was just wierd.

There is a mode 4, which is mode 2 with the sticks swapped (throttle and
ail on left, elevator and rudder on right). I think I would have an
easier time with that.

Maybe not. :-)

Bob R.

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:
That's right. When flying systems with reeds, you could not actuate
two switches at the same time unless they were on opposite sides of
the transmitter, so elevator was actuated by one of the switches on
the left side of the transmitter, while aileron was on the right
side. The early proportional sets were set up to mimic the reed
setup and that was called Mode 1.

Ron Van Putte