[NSRCA-discussion] Advancement: let's wrap it up

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Wed Aug 15 17:56:06 AKDT 2007

My proposal would be:

*************************
8. Contestant classification. At his first Pattern

contest a contestant may enter any one Pattern

class at his own option. (This decision should be

made with care as no one at any time, except as

noted in 8.1.2. and 8.2.5., will be permitted to

change to a lower class.) Once committed to a

certain class a contestant will be allowed to

move only to a higher skill class. This move will

come about in one of two ways: (1) voluntary,

(2) mandatory.

8.1. A contestant may promote himself

voluntarily to a higher class at any time;

however, once the move is made, he may not

change back to a lower class.

8.1.1. Exception: A contestant may fly

in the next higher class at a contest where his

class is not being flown without committing

himself to a permanent move to a higher class.

He may not fly in a class lower than the one to

which he is committed.

8.1.2. Exception: Consideration will be

given to requests for reclassification to a lower

class for various reasons, such as disability or

breaks from participation of several years. For a

flier to be reclassified to a lower rank, that

person must make application (using a form

supplied by AMA HQ) to be signed by a Contest

Director and forwarded to the petitioners District

Contest Board representative and Vice President

for their approval.

8.2. A contestant will be mandatorily

advanced through the classes as follows:  Advancement

takes place through the accumulation of points.

Contestants receive points

according to their finishing place in every contest

they compete in. For fliers finishing third or

below in a given contest, they will receive points

equal to the number of official (having recorded

an official flight) fliers they beat. The second

place winner will receive points equal to twice

the number of official fliers he beats, and the

first place winner will receive points equal to

three times the number of official fliers he beats.

The points each contestant receives go into his

cumulative record.

8.2.0.a At the AMA Nationals, points will be awarded to the

top 20 entrants in each class, as if there were a total of

20 entrants if there are more than 20.  Entrants placing

below the top 20 will not accumulate points from the event.

8.2.1. A flier accumulating or exceeding

50 points in Sportsman will automatically be advanced to Intermediate at

the end of that calendar year.

A flier accumulating or exceeding

100 points in Intermediate or 150 in Advanced classes

will automatically be advanced to the next higher

class up to the top AMA style class of Masters at

the end of that calendar year.  A flier accumulating or exceeding

200 points in Masters will be automaticly advanced to FAI at

the end of that calendar year.

8.2.2. A contestant may voluntarily

move to the next higher class upon attaining the

goals itemized in 8.2.1. but will not be required

to do so until the end of the calendar year.

8.2.3. The accumulated points for

required class advancement will be based on a

sliding scale of 4 years time. Advancement

points acquired before the fourth (4) year will

not count towards advancement. In other words,

a contestant's point accumulation is based on the

total accumulation for his/her previous four (4)

years of competition.

8.2.4. When a contestant enters a new

class, either higher or lower (as permitted by

8.1.2.) he begins with zero (0) points. Note: A

contestant who flies in a higher class under the

Exception Rule (8.1.1.) above still acquires

classification points in accordance with 8.2.

above..

Examples

1. The contestant is one (1) of eight (8)

who flies officially in a given class,

except Sportsman, and places first. He

acquires three (3) times seven (7) (the

number he beat) or 21 classification

points.

2. The contestant is one (1) of 16 and

places fifth. He receives 11 points.

3. The contestant accumulates 95 points

in 1990 and thus remains in his declared

class into 1991. At the first 1991

contest, he picks up 12 points. He may

fly the rest of 1991 in his declared class

but will be advanced to the next higher

class starting January 1, 1992. (He may

move up sooner if he so desires.)

8.3. NSRCA is responsible for maintaining

an accurate record of classification points.

A form for reporting contest results will be

included with each contest sanction package,

and is available on the NSRCA website at

www.NSRCA.org

************************

The fewest changes I could come up with to meet the goal...  CONSISTANCY from class to class.

And having a way to keep track...

note the deletion of the ability to hop back and forth between FAI and other classes. (no one does it anyway... there's no point.)

Change system for Sportsman to a points system, not placing above 4 others in a single contest.

Change to 150 points accumulation in Advanced. (a lot of points... have some big contests...)

Masters advance if accumulated 200 points.  (thats a LOT of points in 4 years... SANDBAGGER)

If you are good enough to place in the top 20 of your class at the NATS... you need the points.

but if there are 50 people flying in your class... and you come in 20th... you don't need 31 points.

NSRCA takes care of the points accumulations. (someone types the numbers in... won't take long even if there's 6 contests on one weekend)  Simple spreadsheet will do it.

FAI is the destination class.