[NSRCA-discussion] Advancement: let's wrap it up

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Aug 16 02:57:04 AKDT 2007

FWIW, I have been on both sides of the Masters->F3A fence.

  At one time I felt that advancement to the F3A class should be mandatory. I saw guys parked in the Masters class, and I felt that there should be some "incentive" for them to move up, to make room for the new guys moving up into the Masters class.

  Then I moved up to FAI. Flew that for a couple of years. Got to the point where I did not have the time or energy to get out and practice as much as I should, at least not enough to stay competitive. Some of the best in the country flew in the local contests in F3A. They were dedicated and practiced a lot.

  Then I decided that it was ok for Masters to be a destination class. There are those fliers that are good, but don't have the resources (time, money) to be competitive. Yet, these people do have something to offer the sport. Why push them out.

  I've been out of it for over 10 years. If I start back, it will certainly not be in F3A. An no one in the Masters class needs to worry about me taking the gold.

  Just my 2CW.

  Bob R.