[NSRCA-discussion] K-Factor Maneuver description and judging

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon Apr 2 17:46:59 AKDT 2007

Boy, I love that Anthony. He really stimulates my brain ( however small it may be). I spent about 2&1/2 hours Sunday afternoon drawing out this maneuver in differing scales trying to understand why the roll position varied with different presentations and was able to finally determine that the entry point is the culprit.
The original maneuver was designed to represent a golfball sitting on top of a tee. If you take your K-factor and turn the page upside-down you will see what the thing is supposed to look like in the first drawing. In the second drawing the tee is extremely small and this is because the entry point is late ( too close to the center of the maneuver). IMO, the maneuver should be performed in a way that presents the overall form with relative symmetry between the upper and lower halves of the total maneuver.
If the entry point occurs at a point on a vertical line drawn tangentially from the extreme radius of the looping segment with this line intersecting the center of the first 1/8th radius, then the rolls will occur exactly on the center line of the maneuver and the baseline (imaginary) of the tee will equal the diameter of the loop and the total maneuver will be in symmetry.
I feel that the symmetry requirement should have been included in the descriptor in order to achieve standardization in the judging criteria. Applying the existing criteria to this maneuver is almost like scoring last year's TO's & Lndgs. I predict that there will be many a disappointed pilot this year when they get their sheets.
Georgie