[NSRCA-discussion] Aero design question

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Sep 11 05:30:48 AKDT 2006

Nat Penton <natpenton at centurytel.net> wrote:
  For ailerons, IMO, the Cl along the span should be about constant to lower the probability of tip stall This would be  constant % chord ( Bob Richards ?).

                                           Nat

  Nat, I think I understand your point. In a static situation (ailerons deflected, but not rolling) I would agree with you. However, in a dynamic situation where the airplane IS rolling, then the angle-of-attack at each point along the span is different (due to the rolling action) and everything changes (back to the helical pitch analogy).

  It would be interesting to have someone try this in a wind tunnel, but I'm not sure how you would rig the model in the tunnel.

  I think back to the Wright Flyer, did that have a tip-stall tendency?? I don't know, I never flew one!  :-)  If aileron deflection would cause a tip stall, that would be the worst case since the highest AOA is at the tip.

  Bob R.